Ethel Tory Language Scholarship for Asian Languages
The Ethel Elizabeth Tory Endowment was established through a bequest from Ethel Tory
in 2003 to support academic positions in drama and language. The Endowment also supports a students for the study of languages internationally.
Please note that the following information is for students applying for the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship to support Asian language study in countries in the Asian region (excluding Australia).
For further information, see the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship Conditions of Award
In 2020 each scholarship will be valued at $2,500. The scholarship is paid in a single installment prior to the approved travel.
The award will be available each year to a continuing ANU student who is:
- A domestic or international student; and
- Currently studying language at an intermediate/advanced (or equivalent) level within their undergraduate degree, as approved by the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship Committee.
- Applicants undertaking language study outside Australia must study full time while overseas in one of the following categories:
- Language courses conducted off shore by ANU and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree;
- Language courses offered by an approved international higher education provider and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree;
- A program of study, offered by an approved international higher education provider, delivered in a foreign language and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree.
Previous recipients of the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship are ineligible to apply. Students may not use the scholarship for study in their country of birth or citizenship
The College of Asia and the Pacific welcomes applications from students studying language at a beginner level however preference will be given to applicants studying at an intermediate or advanced level.
Students wishing to apply for funding to support the study of Australian Indigenous, Middle Eastern or Modern European languages should apply through the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
Selection will be made on the basis of:
- The academic record of eligible students;
- Benefit to student’s personal and academic life, and need for financial support, as detailed in the personal statement in the scholarship application;
- Whether the student has been awarded any other funding, grants or scholarships for language study;
- Access and equity considerations, including, if relevant, financial circumstances.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications are managed through the ANU Global Programs System and are awarded in two rounds.
The first application round will consider overseas activity taking place in Summer Session, Autumn Session and Semester 1, 2020. Applications open 31 August 2019
and close on Sunday 20 October 2019.
Outcomes will be released on Tuesday 12 November.
The second application round will consider overseas activity taking place in Winter Session, Spring Session and Semester 2, 2020. Applications will open on 20 March 2020
and close on Tuesday 5 May 2020.
Outcomes will be released on Wednesday 20 May 2020
Successful applicants will be contacted using their ANU email address and will need to update their bank details on ISIS and return a signed letter of offer.
CAP Student Centre
M Block Demountable
Between Menzies Library and China in the World
T: 6125 3207