Skip to content

Finances, Money and Centrelink

Finances, Money and Centrelink

It is important to plan your finances to ensure that you can fund your overseas experience. Be realistic and look into what is available for your situation. Make sure to do your research to see all available options.
If you are an Australian citizen, you might be eligible for OS-Help loan. The amount you borrow will be added to their existing HELP debt. Read more on eligibility and application procedure here:
If you are currently receiving payments from Centrelink, you might be able to continue receiving payments while you are studying overseas, depending on your circumstances and the type of payments. If you are receiving academic credits for your overseas program, you can request for a participation letter for Centrelink paperwork purposes. You will be required to prove that your overseas study counts towards your degree.

Please note that ANU Global Programs cannot assess your Centrelink payment eligibility while you are on overseas program/s. You will need to contact Centrelink to enquire about your eligibility to continue receiving payments while you are studying overseas.

Depending on the program that you are going for, there might be some grants available to fund your experience. Most grants are attached to specific programs. Types, amounts, selection and application processes for grants are usually advertised on program brochures on the Global Programs System. If there is no mention of grants, it usually means that there are no grants available for that program. For more information on types of grants, please refer to:

There are many scholarships available to support you while you are studying overseas. ANU Global Programs regularly advertises available scholarships on our website and social media. Some embassies and countries may also offer scholarships for students going on programs to particular countries. Not all scholarships are advertised on the ANU website, so make sure you do your own research to explore available funding options.

For more information on available scholarships, please refer to:

There are so many options to access your money overseas. Everyone is different, so think about how you like to use your money and what is best for you. Weigh in the pros and cons of each method and consider which will best suit your needs.

There are several ways to carry your money when you are overseas. These include:

- Taking cash overseas (be it in overseas currency or in Australian currency)
When taking cash overseas, it is important to think about the types of currencies you would like to bring. Factors to consider include access to money changing services, volatility of the currency, exchange rates, convenience, the amount of cash to bring, plus many more.

- Bank or Credit Cards
You will need to contact your bank to make sure that your bank or credit cards can be used while you are overseas. It is also a good idea to inform your bank about your travel plans to avoid them blocking your cards when you attempt to make transactions overseas.

- Travel Money Cards
You can usually order travel money cards through your bank. Depending on your bank, you can directly transfer and convert currencies from your bank account to your travel money card online. Note that not all currencies are available on travel money cards.

- Opening an Overseas Bank Account

Regardless of the method you choose to access your money, it is important to always carry them in a mix of forms, and to make sure that you have back up options. Having more than one option ensures that you will always be able to access your money, even if you lose access to your main source.

It is also a good idea to contact your bank and arrange for someone back in Australia to be an authorised person to your account in case of any unforeseen circumstances while you are overseas.

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is a card for full-time students abroad that you can use to verify your student status. It can be used to get discounts on travel, accommodation and entertainment in participating countries. You can apply for the card through STA Travel: